I have done a lot of research on what different woman have said they needed for their surgery and asked my surgeons and knowing myself, I obviously have a few things I want/need that are probably just for me.
I am the type of person that deals with stressful things (like this) in a very unique way, I know that by having new (maybe even printed) T-shirts and Pj’s and dying my hair a funky colour and maybe setting a date for a new tattoo… (small exciting things) it makes the bad parts seem “less” and the small things “more”.
This is my list so far:
- Pre-op photo’s (for personal use)
- Cut & Dye my hair
- Do nails
- Headphones & have a backup of movies and series waiting for me at home and entertainment for the hospital stay
- Button-up pj’s
- Gripped Slippers – I have the tendency to be clumsy and I think after the surgery might be a bad time to slip and fall. Lol!
- Gown with pockets – for Drains
- Encouraging t-shirts
- “Go-Home” Comfy outfit that screams previvor (I will be doing a celebratory wiggle when I walk out of hospital, I swear lol.) 😉
- Mastectomy bra – my plastic surgeon said he puts one on me after the surgery and will charge me cost price for it (how nice is he for doing that for his patients)
- Lanyard for Drains – I read that it’s a useful tip when showering with the drains in
- Eye mask – I NEED total darkness to sleep and therefore this is a must for me
- Pillow mania – seatbelt (car) pillow and pillows galore for my bed and I have a long pillow I am going to use to stop me from rolling and a travel neck pillow for comfort
- Laptop/Phone holder for lying in bed and watching movies without having to turn on my side
- List of past surgeries (I have this on my list because I have had a few minor surgeries in the past and I never remember all the surgeon’s names and the nurses always want to know this as you get admitted, so this way I will be super organised and have it all ready and waiting)
- Notebook and pen – a lot of woman said you need to keep note of meds and times, I think having a notebook is never a bad thing for someone like me that makes notes for everything. (crazy list woman)
- TMI – I do suffer severely from constipation (thank you anxiety and 5 years of flying), so I have seen people say you need to have prune juice etc with you, but I know what works for me, so I will be packing in my Movicol sachets.
- Lip-ice – I know this from previous surgeries, your lips do get very dry. So, having this in your bag is never a bad thing.
- Halls/ throat lozenges – surgery = sore throat. So yes! This is a must.
- Electric Toothbrush!!
- Extension cord for charger – as I won’t be able to reach very far for a few days
I love the idea of a little something that makes you feel strong and powerful! I remember in high school I had lucky undies. Lol (don’t judge me) but I’m thinking of taking a little something with to the hospital that makes me feel powerful 😊😊😊
Please do comment or email me if you can think of something that I have missed!!!